Sunday 12 July 2009

What is it about buying a new cookbook?


Now I think I have sussed this blog thing out I try and post some inane ramblings about the joy of a new cookbook. Is it just me or is there something magickal about buying a new cook book, you pick it up in the shop, never like buying these online in case theres no recipes I like or don't cater for me (being Vegetarian) First you glance through it, then you decide you like the layout, the pictures the stories that go with, how the recipes come about etc. Then you make the purchase and can't wait to get it home to conjure up some cullinary delights for you and your loved ones.

Well on Friday I treated myself to the Sophie Dahl book of Voluptuous delights! A model doing a cookery book thats a new one on me, I wondered would a model cook let alone eat? well Sophie has suprised me not only does she cook but she eats! how refreshing for a model who isn't worried about eating more than a mere lettuce leaf. Her journey to this point where she doesn't let food rule her life is quite good too.


Well today I decided to make her French Onion Soup and wow it was actually quite good, can't really go wrong with French Onion soup can you? There is something quite warming and comforting about a bowl of hot steaming soup isn't there ?with crusty bread to accompany it a real feast.

I found the book easy and straight forward to follow, you don't need millions of ingredients either, all in all I would describe the book as rustic and hearty a real and may I say unexpected treat. I have even wrote down a shopping list of ingredients I need to make other stuff, a first for me.

Of course if the purchasing of past cookery books is anything to go by in a few weeks Sophie Dahl will fight for position on my bookshelf along with Delia Smith, Nigella Lawson, Jamie Oliver, Rachel Allen, Joanne Harris etc as redundant! The day will come again when I am tired after work, hungry and can't be bothered to cook so I will pop a Baked potato into the microwave and top it off with the old cullinary favourite Baked Beans

Still the moment you first pick up the new cookbook and decide it is worth the money as you will make loads of recipes from it is priceless.

Sunday Ramblings from an Electricwitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment